The day-to-day tasks which we perform in our daily life such as any assigned task, the email which we send, and all other standard processes which we complete or done. So in place of doing these tasks manually, we can do it automatically with the help of some configure process to perform these tasks. Process Builder helps you out from this kind of task, process builder helps you to make all these tasks automated.
Process builder is available in Salesforce Classic as well as Salesforce Lightning Experience, and also available in Essential, Professional, Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions.
For automation, it uses three types of process, depending on what triggers the process.
- When a record is created or updated a process name record change starts.
- When any kind of platform event message is received at the same time an event process starts.
- Same as if any other process or event got invoked so an invocable process starts.
Each process consists of:
- Criteria that determine when to execute an action group.
- Action groups, which consist of immediate or scheduled actions. Only record change processes support scheduled actions.
Don't forget to check out: Custom Notification With Process Builder in Salesforce
Process Builder vs. Workflow
The actions which are performed by workflow can also be performed by the Process Builder but the process builder should be more powerful. With the help of process builder we can also do these tasks or activities:-
- We can make a record for any object using a process builder.
- With the help of a process builder, we can update any record as well as its parent record also.
- Process Builder also uses a quick action for the following task:- for creating a record, for updating a record, or even for logging a call.
- Process Builder can invoke a process from another process.
- Process Builder can launch a flow but workflow is unable to schedule this action.
- We can send an email using process builder.
- Custom notification can also be sent by the process builder.
- Post to Chatter
- We can also submit a record for approval using this.
And even when it is required that the process do more tasks or events than it is allowed to do by process actions, then not to worry it can also be done by the process by calling Apex or flow from process.
Examples of Process:-
- Sample Process (Opportunity Management):- In this kind of example, it shows that a single process is processed by Process Builder in the place of the Workflow rule. This is a business process managed by opportunity management.
- Printer Management: This process shows how to manage and evaluate a platform event using Process Builder. It is also a type of simple process.
- Managing Document: It is also a type of sample process done by Process Builder, with the help of it we can manage documents in Salesforce. The main task of this process is to make sure that the documents associated with Salesforce are always available for those authorized users who have the access to that Salesforce documents.
Process Limits and Consideration
This can be done in the following ways:-
- Process Limits
- Process Usage-Based Entitlements
- When do processes evaluate record changes?
Process Limits:- The most important point to keep in mind is that the API name should be unique in your Salesforce org, when we are going to create any process always take care of the limits, like shared limits and Apex governor limits also.
Process Usage-Based Entitlements:- It’s the best part is that it does not limit what you can do in Salesforce; you can do any task and even if you exceed the set limits then also there are no problems, you can still doing your task, in meanwhile if your usage exceeds the allowance, the Salesforce will contact you to talk about additions to the existing contract, and at the same time, you can still doing your process as usual.
The best part of Process Builder is that it allows you to see and manage all your processes in one place.
For managing a process you can:-
- Go to Setup
- Enter Builder in the quick find box
- Select the process builder from there.
Once process builder is open you can perform all the tasks from creating a process to even the status also.
With the help of the process management page you can perform the following tasks:-
- If you want to create a process you can do it by creating a process icon.
- Even if you want to edit any process you can also do it from here.
- If there is an inactive process you can delete it from here also.
- If you want to see the status of any process you can check it out from the status tab.
- Even shorting is also possible here, depending on the name, object, modification date, etc.
Once a process is opened the following task can be performed on it:-
- If you want to create a new process as the previous one, then with the help of clone the process you can do this task.
- If you want to activate or deactivate any existing process, it can also be done from here.
- If you want to add or remove any properties in the process it can also be done with the help of edit the process properties.