The word “Migration” is always associated with shifting something to other places where accuracy, safety, and speed are of utmost importance. However, when it comes to data migration, it can send anyone into disarray. In the ever-expanding realm of technology, Salesforce emerges as a leader for business for multiple reasons.
As enterprises embrace this powerful platform, they come across Salesforce data migration. The process involves cleansing data, mapping data fields, and maintaining data integrity and relationships. Let's learn about Salesforce migration and its associated facets.
What Is Salesforce Data Migration?
Data migration in Salesforce involves transferring data from one system or source to Salesforce, the renowned cloud-based customer relationship management (CRM) platform. The need for migration arises due to many reasons, primarily -
- Replacement of the old system
- Need for more advanced specifications
- Scaling up the business with more databases, storage systems, and application
- Modification in the existing database
- Switching over to the cloud or any other IT module
- The merger of two or more systems
- Need for faster, safer, and better infrastructure
The process involves data extraction from various legacy systems, transforming it to fit as per the structure and requirements of Salesforce. By choosing Salesforce migration, businesses reap benefits such as -
- Centralized the scattered data
- Better data quality and safety
- Streamline their sales and marketing processes
- Smooth collaboration across teams
- Gain valuable insights through advanced reporting and analytics
- Well informed decision-making
- Easy scalability and flexibility concerning data
What Are The Different Ways Of Salesforce Migration
Manual Data Migration
This primary way involves importing data to Salesforce in a compatible format. This is time-consuming and prone to many human errors.
Tool-Based Data Migration
Here, you opt for tools to migrate data to Salesforce via automated import and export.
Salesforce Data Loader
This tool is a good option for small-scale migration as it is readily included with Salesforce. It can be used to import and export data in various formats.
Don't forget to check out: Salesforce Data Migration Services - Here are All the Details you Need
Salesforce Data Migration Tool
This one is the most powerful way, irrespective of the data volume. Using this method, the migration follows all five significant characteristics: Accuracy, relevancy, accessibility, uniqueness, and reliability.
What Is The Configuration To Migrate Data In Salesforce?
Start Preparation With Data Selection, Mapping, And Cleansing
Just like any other big event in an organization, planning is paramount. Kickstart the process by ensuring every employee has an account on the platform. Then only you may assign, access, and explain duties to them.
To do that,
- Open the home tab and proceed to the administration section
- Click on the user's section to view the complete details
- Press enter to create a new user role or modify roles and permissions on the existing users.
Creation Of Custom Field Features
You need complete control over data and check the compatibility of the old and new storage systems. There comes the role of Custom fields. This is another mandatory step of Salesforce migration, as it allows you to define standards in the database.
To do that,
- Visit settings and look for the “Setup option.”
- Locate platform tools under setup and click on objects and fields.
- Under the Object Manager, choose the needed objects.
- Edit fields and relationships
- Now, create or add custom fields
Customization - The Final Step Of Migration
Under this step, you add developed features to the existing database and storehouse mechanism. Here, you may access any Salesforce CRM tools for prolonged access, addition, removal, and deletion of data.
To do that,
- Locate the Setting icon and click on the Setup option.
- Press on the “Objects and Fields “ by taking the cursor to platform tools.
- Now, click ‘Object Manager and follow the steps to set up an account for migration.
- Prepare or add new layouts.
What Are Salesforce Data Migration Best Practices?
- Define the goals for migrating data with priorities and realistic timelines.
- Clean and validate the data before migration. Remove duplicates, standardize formats, and resolve any inconsistencies or errors.
- Map the fields and attributes with corresponding fields in Salesforce.
- Have a plan for potential performance issues that may arise due to large data sets or intricate relationships.
- Prioritize data security with security measures like encryption, user access controls, adherence to industry and regulatory compliance requirements, and more.
- Provide comprehensive training to users on new data structures, processes, and features for a smooth transition.
- Create a data backup plan that becomes a savior in case of unforeseen issues or data loss during migration.
- Leverage advanced tools and support from experts for hassle-free migration.
- Continuously monitor the process by keeping track of critical metrics.
Check out another amazing blog by Algoworks here: A Brief Guide For Salesforce Developers To Understand Customer Data Platforms (CDPs)
Migrating data in Salesforce is a pivotal step towards harnessing the power of Salesforce CRM. Transferring data from one system to another is arduous for a prolific team. Start the Salesforce data migration with careful planning under the expert's guidance. Organizations can unlock their data's potential, improve customer engagement, and grow their businesses.