What is Multi-factor Authentication (MFA)? When and How to Use it? | Salesforce Developer Guide
What is Multi-factor Authentication (MFA)?
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is a secure authentication method that requires users to prove their identity by supplying two or more pieces of evidence (or factors) when they log in. One factor is something the user knows, such as their username and password.
Advantages of Multi-factor Authentication (MFA)
- Reduce Fraud & Identity Theft
- Increase Customer Trust.
- Simplify the Login Process
- Multi-factor authentication increases security with third parties and organizations
Disadvantages of Multi-factor Authentication (MFA)
- Multi-factor authentication takes more time
- MFA isn’t free
Don't forget to check out: 4 Security Mistakes to Avoid in Salesforce
How Does an MFA Work?
Firstly Download the Salesforce Authenticator app on our mobile using the play store or app store. These steps to enable Two-factor authentication:-
- From Setup, enter Session Settings in the Quick Find box, then select Session Settings.
- Under Session Security Levels, make sure that Multi-Factor Authentication is in the High Assurance category.
Step 2: Create User for Assign the Permission set
- Create a Permission set i.e, Two Factor Authentication.
- After creating the Permission Set then need to follow these steps to enable MFA in the Salesforce playground or developer edition.
Check out another amazing blog by Aman Garg here: How to Import Multiple Objects Data in a Single SFDX Command | Salesforce Guide
The steps are:
- Under System, click System Permissions.
- Select Multi-Factor Authentication for User Interface Logins.
Step 4: Assign the permission set to the user
Step 5: Now edit the User and follow these steps:
Now, to log in using Salesforce Authenticator, you will...
- Enter your username and password, like you always do
- From there, you’ll get a notification that shows you everything you need to know about the request
- If it’s 100% correct, click on “Approve” and log in!
Note: on February 1, 2022, It is necessary to enable Multi-Factor Authentication.