- Objects are database tables that allow us to store data and information specific to the organization in Salesforce.
- We can store data and information unique to the organization in Salesforce by using objects, which are database tables.
- Users can interact with data by using objects.
- The concept of objects is similar to database table.
- Object fields are similar in concept to a database column.
- Records in objects are similar in concept to a database row.
Types of Objects
- There are two types of objects in Salesforce:
- Standard Objects
- Custom Objects
- Standard objects are the kind of objects that are provided by salesforce.com.
- Standard Objects are the objects which already exist in the Salesforce platform to manage the configurations and settings of the environment.
- Account, Contact, and User are some of the various standard objects provided by the salesforce.
- We can customize the standard objects with the help of custom fields.
- Custom Objects are those objects that are created by users to store information that’s specific to the company or industry.
- User can add all the fields required in the custom objects.
Don't forget to check out: Find Newly Created Fields in Salesforce
- Fields in Salesforce represent what the columns represent in relational databases.
- Field can store data values which are required for a particular object in a record.
- Every standard and custom object has fields attached to it.
Types Of Fields
- There are two types of fields in the Salesforce:
- Standard Fields
- Custom Fields
- Standard fields are predefined fields that are included as standard within the Salesforce application.
- Standard fields cannot be deleted, but non-required standard fields can be removed from page layouts whenever needed.
- Both standard and custom objects contain a few common standard fields.
- For example - Name, CreateDate, LastModifiedDate, and Owner fields.
- Custom Fields are the fields that are created by the user on standard or custom objects according to their requirements.
- Every field has a data type.
- A data type indicates what kind of information the field stores.
- Salesforce supports a bunch of different data types.
Check out an amazing Salesforce infographic here: 5 Advantages of Using The Salesforce Data Migration Tool in Your Organization
The custom fields provided by Salesforce are:
- Auto Number – Auto Number is used to assign a unique number to every record automatically.
- Checkbox – Checkbox allows a user to check a box, indicating a true or false attribute of a record.
- Currency – Currency helps the user to enter a currency amount.
- Date – Date allows users to enter a date or pick a date from popup calendar.
- Date/Time - Date/Time allows users to enter a date or pick a date from popup calendar. They can also add the current date and time by clicking the date and time link next to the field.
- Email – Email allows users to enter an email address of up to 80 characters, which is validated to ensure proper format.
- Geolocation – Geolocation allows users to specify a location by its latitude and longitude.
- Number – Number allows users to enter any number. The number is treated as real number and any leading zeroes are removed. Percent – Percent allows users to enter a percentage number as a decimal.
- Phone – Phone allows users to enter any phone number. Character limit is 40.
- Picklist – Picklist allows users to select a single value from a list that you defined.
- Picklist(Multi-select) - Picklist(Multi-select) allows users to select more than one value from a list that you defined.
- Text – Text allows users to enter any combination of letters, numbers or symbols.
- Text(Encrypted) - Text(Encrypted) allows users to enter any combination of letters, numbers or symbols.
- Text Area - Text Area allows users to enter characters that display on separate lines similar to a Description field.
- Text Area(Long) - Text Area(Long) allows users to enter up to 131,072 characters that display on separate lines similar to a Description field. You can set the length of this field type to a lower limit, if desired. Any length from 256 to 131,072 characters is allowed. The default is 32,768 characters.
- Text Area(Rich) - With the use of a toolbar, users can format the field content and add images and hyperlinks. The toolbar allows the user to undo, redo, bold, italicize, underline, strike-out, add a hyperlink, upload or link to an image, modify alignment, add a numbered or non-numbered list, indent and outdent.
- Url - Url allows users to enter to enter up to 255 characters of any valid website address.