Data Import in Salesforce - A Brief Guide
If you want to import any external data into Salesforce, you can perform this activity with the help of Data Import. Data import support .csv format (CSV means comma delimited text format).
Data Import can be performed by two methods:
- Data Import Wizard
- Data Loader
Data Import Wizard
If you want to import common standard objects, you can go for it. Common standard objects like contacts, leads, accounts and custom objects. To use the data import wizard, you have to go to the Setup menu and there you can find it. Data Import Wizard can import up to 50,000 records at a time.
Data Import Wizard is used when:
- When there are less than or about 50,000 records to import at a time.
- The most important thing to keep in mind during importing by Data Import is it should be supported by Wizard.
- If you do not want any automated process then you can go for Data Import Wizard.
It is basically a client application that has the capability to import up to 5 million records in a single time. The best thing about a Data loader is that it supports all types of data types, and it does not matter where it is stored in files or databases. You can even perform or automate import processes using API calls also, and mostly it is done through the user interface or by the command line.
Check out another amazing blog by Kishan Giri here: Data Export in Salesforce - A Brief Guide
You can use Data Loader when:
- If you want an automated process of import and even schedule regular data so you can go for it.
- If the data type or object is not supported by the Import Wizard so you can go for it.
- Most important if you want to import more than 50000 records (less than 5 million) so you can go for it.
There are certain steps to be followed before importing any data.
- Very first create an export file with the help of existing software (In case of using wizard keep in mind that the file type should be supported by Wizard ).
- Data cleaning for accuracy and consistency should be checked and completed. This can be achieved by removing the duplicates data, and even delete those data which are not of any use, it also includes other errors corrections also like spelling correction and naming conventions also.
- Data mapping should be checked with the Salesforce fields.
If required then do any type of configuration change to manage or handle the imported data.