Cybercrimes, phishing attacks, Security breaches etc. are the terms that are known by everyone nowadays. Security has become a major issue and the reason behind it is the increasing number of cyberattacks in the past few years.
What is Multi-Factor Authentication
It is a secure authentication method that requires users to prove their identity by supplying some pieces of evidence or factors, whenever they log in.
There can be a number of reasons behind these cyber attacks like weak and reused passwords, lack of security knowledge etc. The majority of the companies have started work from home for their employees amidst the pandemic. They have started shifting to cloud-based solutions, have interconnected systems that have become a new place for cybercriminals.
How Can Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) help?
MFA will protect your org by adding an additional layer of security for handling phishing attacks, credential stuffing, and account takeovers.
- One factor is the user’s username and password. Other factors are verification methods that the user has.
- By using multiple types of factors for user access, it becomes tough for the attacker to enter your Salesforce environment.
- Even if someone has stolen a user’s password, there are very low chances that the attacker can guess it.
Don't forget to check out: Open Web Application Security Project | Salesforce Security Guide
Ways to Get Secured with MFA
MFA gives us several ways to get secured. Here are the types of verification methods you can use to access your Salesforce accounts. Well, Salesforce gives us three ways for Multi-Factor Authentication.
1. Salesforce Authenticator Mobile App: Whenever someone tries to log in to your account, you will get notifications by the Salesforce authenticator mobile app along with their location on your mobile device.
- With just one click, you can decide which login attempts need to be approved or denied. Salesforce Authenticator App is available on both the operating systems iOS and Android.
- Users can install it very easily.
- It may even work in the places where there is any connectivity issue, you may log in via your mobile devices by using 6 digit TOTP.
2. Third-Party Authenticator Apps: This verification method allows the usage of Third-Party Authenticator Apps which will generate temporary codes based on the OATH time-based one-time password (TOTP) algorithm.
- A TOTP is valid for 30 seconds and then a new TOTP will be generated.
- This method also gives you choices like Microsoft Authenticator, Google Authenticator or Authy.
3. Security Keys: It is a small, physical device that looks like a pen drive. So, if you don’t possess a mobile device or are restricted from bringing cellphones to your office or your work premises, this might be the best way of MFA. Some advantages of using security keys are:
- You don’t need to install anything and you are not required to enter any code.
- It makes the MFA logins fast by connecting the key to the PC and by pressing the key’s button to verify the user’s identity.
Check out an amazing Salesforce video tutorial here: Security in Salesforce | Security Levels in Salesforce | Salesforce Training
All You Need to Know Before Getting Started With MFA
- Know what kind of app or hardware authenticator will work the best for you as per your requirements.
- Time Factor which will ensure whether your team members can access during business hours or not.
- Cost Factor
So, it is very important to ensure that the data is safe and MFA does the same by providing the best possible protection to our Salesforce environments.