What is the Sandbox in Salesforce?
A Sandbox is an isolated testing environment wherein the users can execute or run programs and files without affecting either the application or the system on which they need their live data. It's mostly employed by software programmers to run new programming code. So, a sandbox creating a developing and testing environment within Salesforce is further termed as a Salesforce Sandbox.
URL of Sandbox Instances to open sandbox: sandbox URL
The benefits of Testing Through Sandbox are as follows:
- With Salesforce, you can use the sandbox for testing, development, and research without the worry of losing data in your production organization.
- After the updates come, you have the option to test it properly before letting it change your production organization. This further gives a sense of data security too.
- You can plan and schedule the upcoming releases in Salesforce according to your requirements.
- Lastly, Sandboxes have become easy to create while using Salesforce. Also, there are several ways to create it.
Different Salesforce Sandboxes Types
There are 4 types of Salesforce sandbox environments:
- Developer Sandbox
- Developer Pro
- Partial Copy
- Full Sandbox
Don't forget to check out: When to use which Sandbox? Salesforce Interview Questions and Answers
- It is used for coding and testing by a single developer. Multiple users can log into and share a single Developer sandbox.
- Developer sandboxes copy all of your production organization’s metadata or Setup data.
- This includes custom settings, custom object definitions, Apex classes and triggers, Visualforce pages, reports, dashboards, price books, and so on.
- Developer sandboxes provide a limited amount of file and data storage, which is enough for many developments and testing tasks.
Developer Pro Sandbox
- Developer Pro sandbox environments types provide the same functionality as Developer sandboxes types do, with increased file and data storage.
- This one gives 1 GB of data storage to use.
- It can handle more tasks mostly based on development and quality assurance for testing and training. Further, it is also free of cost.
- Partial Copy Salesforce sandbox types include all of your organization’s metadata and a sample of your production organization’s data that you define by using a sandbox template. To create a Partial Copy sandbox, you must apply a sandbox template at creation time.
- Partial Copy sandboxes provide 5 GB of data storage and are not free of cost.
- Full sandbox environments are a replica of your entire production organization and all its data, including standard and custom object records, documents, attachments, code, settings, and so on.
- When you create a Full sandbox, you also have to decide how many fields tracking history and Chatter activity to include.
- you can include up to 180 days of field tracking.
- We use Full sandboxes for data load testing, integration testing, user acceptance testing, performance and load testing, and staging purposes. In particular, this environment is the only one that can support full performance and load testing.
- It provides data storage equivalent to your production organization and is also not free of cost.
Steps to Create a New Sandbox
Setup -> Quick Find Box -> Search Sandbox -> click on Sandbox
- You can select easily from where you want to create a Sandbox.
- Click Next.
- You will be shown this window like that where you can select the type of sandbox that you want to create like that:
- Click Next for the Sandbox type which sandbox type you need.
- Click create.
Once your sandbox is done then you need to give access to the Deliverability like this:
Setup -> Quick Find Box -> Deliverability
- Select Access Level from System Email only to All Email.
- Click save.
References: shreysharma, flosum