Workbench is a powerful and important platform. It is a web-based suite of tools that help the administrators and developers (Salesforce) to communicate with your Salesforce organization or Force APIs to update, delete, insert the data or record. It is also used to import and export data. They can also easily perform Salesforce Object Query Language (SOQL), Salesforce Object Search Language (SOSL), view their organization’s data or record, perform data loading and testing, deploy and retrieve, and also use to modify session settings.
Follow the below steps to use the workbench:
To use workbench go to https://workbench.developerforce.com
1. Select the environment (Production or sandbox) and API version of your choice and click on the checkbox “I agree to the terms of service”.
2. Click on login with Salesforce. Use your Salesforce login credentials to log in.
Don't forget to check out: Salesforce Deployment Using Workbench | Salesforce Workbench Tutorial
3. After successful login to the Salesforce Workbench, you will get the Jump to option in which you can choose between the following options to perform a required task:
- Standard and Custom Objects
- Metadata Type and components
- SOQL query
- Async SOQL query
- SOSL search
- Streaming Push Topics
- REST explorer
- Apex Execute
Workbench Menu Bar
On the top page of the Workbench, you will find five menus i.e, Info, Queries, Data, Migration, Utilities.
INFO: This tab contains three below options:
- Standard and Custom Objects:- You can use this option to know about your Salesforce organisation's standard and custom objects. With this option, you can know about objects’ child relationships, the record types, attributes, fields and supported scopes.
- Metadata types & Components:- You can choose this option to know about any metadata component from the options provided i.e, Apex class, Approval, Workflow, Apex Page, Apex Trigger etc.
- Session Information:- This option can be used to know about the current user session details. If you are a System Administrator (Salesforce) then you can end up any other session present in (Salesforce) Workbench.
QUERIES: There are two types of queries available:
- SOQL query
- SOSL query
In this, you can select the objects and fields and add a condition to make a SOQL query. You will have the option to get (view) the records as a list or in a matrix format or you can download it in a CSV format.
DATA: You can choose this option to perform the following option:-
There is also an option to upload records from ZIP or CSV files.
Click on the View (Button) present in the Salesforce button to view the records (this will redirect to your organization).
MIGRATION: You can choose this option to “Retrieve” and “Deploy” the data in the Salesforce Organization.
UTILITIES: You can choose utilities to use the following option:
- REST Explorer
- Apex Execute
- Password Management
- Bulk API job status
- Metadata API process status