This extension provides a User Interface to choose metadata components for Package.xml file for development against sandboxes or DE orgs (Org Development Model with VS Code). This is similar to the Eclipse Force.com IDE Add/Remove Metadata Components option.
Before you set up Salesforce Package.xml Generator Extension for VS Code, make sure that you have these essentials.
- Salesforce Extensions for Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio Code v1.26 or later
How to Use?
- Setup your project using SFDX: Create Project with Manifest command and authorize it using SFDX: Authorize an Org command. Skip this step if already done. For more details refer [Org Development Model with VS Code] ( https://forcedotcom.github.io/salesforcedx-vscode/articles/user-guide/org-development-model ).
- Open the command palette (press Ctrl+Shift+P on Windows or Linux, or Cmd+Shift+P on macOS) and run SFDX Package.xml Generator: Choose Metadata Components command.
- In Choose Metadata Components for Package.xml page, select the Metadata you need and click on the Update Package.xml button.
- Package.xml file opens up with the selected metadata components.
- Open the command palette (press Ctrl+Shift+P on Windows or Linux, or Cmd+Shift+P on macOS) and run SFDX: Retrieve Source in Manifest from Org
- Select All button selects all the metadata components except Reports, Dashboards, Email Templates and Documents.
- If you don't want to modify the existing package.xml file & only want the generated XML content, click on the Copy to Clipboard button. This copies the formatted package.xml contents to clipboard which can be pasted somewhere else.