1. User Permissions
User permissions determine what tasks users can perform and what features users can access. For example, users with the “View Settings and Configuration” permission can see the settings page, and users with the “API Enabled” permission can access all Salesforce APIs.
You can enable user permissions in permission sets and custom profiles. In advanced profile permission sets and user interfaces, these permissions and their descriptions appear on the Application Permissions or System Permissions pages. In the original profile user interface, user permissions are listed under Administrator permissions and General user permissions.
To view permissions and their descriptions, in Settings, enter Permission Sets in the Quick Find box, select Permission Sets, and then select or create a permission set. Then, on the Permission Set Overview page, click Application Permissions or System Permissions.
2. Object Permissions
Object permissions determine the basic access users have to create, read, modify, and delete records for each object. You can manage object permissions with permission sets and profiles
Object permissions respect or override sharing rules and settings. The following permissions determine the access a user has to an object.
- View All
- Modify All
3. Field Permissions
Field permissions determine the level of access to each field within an object. In the permission sets and the extended profile UI, the settings labels are different from the labels in the original profile UI and field-level security pages for customizing fields.
Don't forget to check out: Sharing Settings in Salesforce - A Brief Guide
4. User Access and Permissions Assistant
Simplify your access and permission management with the User Access and Permissions Assistant. Convert profiles to editable permission sets. Analyze and report permissions and access across your organization. Manage your permission set groups and the permissions they contain.
You need these permission sets to use the Access Assistant and User Permissions:
- Access to the Access Assistant and user permissions
- The permission set to grant access to the Tooling API credentials that are created during installation
- Optionally, permissions can be set to assign access permissions and run the Access and User Permissions Assistant
- Install the User Access and Permissions Assistant: To use the User Access and Permissions Assistant, enable the Tooling API. Then download the app from the AppExchange and assign the permission set that comes with the app.
- Analyze your assigned permissions: Review your organization's permission assignments to quickly see what permissions a user has and the configuration that grants specific permissions.
- Convert profiles to permission sets: If your custom or standard profiles are licensed by Salesforce, you can convert them to a set of permissions that you can edit and assign.
- Permission Usage Report: Report all permissions that are enabled in your organization or report all user access permissions. Use the User Access and Permissions Assistant to create a report that you can review and export.
- Manage permission set groups: Use the User Access and Permissions Assistant to create, edit, or remove permission set groups.
- Aspects of the Assistant for Access and User Permissions: Be aware of these considerations and the special behaviour of the User Access and Permissions Assistant.